Thursday 28 February 2013

Arabela: Liliw's Gem




Liliw is a worthwhile stop-over for those on a roadtrip. It has an old church and this quaint cafe/restaurant to go to. The cafe is situated on an old house (I really think its a bodega before/ or the residents were not that tall, just because it has a very low ceiling.) Nonetheless, the place serve decent food.







 Sicilian Chicken Salad. P220 I never thought that Sicilians liked their salads laden with mayonnaise. The mayo is really overpowers everything. It has grapes and mangoes and the usual greens.
 Bread Pudding P50. Claims to be the restaurant's best seller, and our dinner's biggest letdown. It was cold and not moist. Felt like eating stale bread. 


Rib-eye Steak P240 The only affordable restaurant in here that serves medium cooked steak. (No, I can't afford to eat at Mamou's regularly.) I would definitely order this one again!

  
Seafood Marinara P220

If you classify fishballs and other street food turo-turo staples as such, then you are in luck. I know I am allergic to seafood but they really don't have to scrimp on that one just to lower down the cost. But I do love how they're able to capture what I normally want my "red sauce" pasta to be. The pasta's al dente as well. I find it strange why most restaurants (a lot actually) can fuck up a dish that is so easy to make (yes, that's coming from a person who can't cook, who can actually make a decent arabiatta dish). Pasta is so easy to prepare and I still don't get it why the noodles get all so soggy and why they put too much sauce (because I never order a seafood pasta in red soup). I also hate it when restaurants assume that everyone wants their pasta SWEET or worse, resembling banana ketchup . Is it so hard to open a whole-peeled tomato canned? They don't even need to use the real thing. Sigh. Anyway, I was just too happy even if I didn't get to have "seafood". The shell on top? That was probably the closest thing I ever gotten to seafood and bits of tiny shrimps. Don't get me wrong, the fact that I am still willing to order this means it actually is better than most crappy pastas out there- it tastes like "seafood" (hint: shrimp-y) and it has the tomato flavor to it.


Dulce de Leche Cheesecake P95
I wouldn't call this a cheesecake perse just because I mainly judge cheesecake based on the cream cheese used. It's better to view this one as "mouse". It has the soft, creamy texture on the white part and the supposedly solid chocolate below (too solid that its frozen and I can't easily slice my way through it even with a knife). Needless to say, I love the whole thing, even the cream/milk on the side. Perfect coffee companion.

 
This is not ideal for tall people, if you are 5'7" and above, you might find yourself slouching or bending too much to navigate around here. The place closes at 7 pm, even on weekends. I don't understand why they don't serve dinner but if you earn enough to break even at an 8-hour shift for a restaurant, good for you. They don't have much competition  in the area anyway. They also open late, around 11 am so you'd only get this place for lunch and merienda. 


Other items we got were Watermelon Shake P95, Cafe Late P95, Chicken Roll P190 (average) and the Deluxe Pizza P260. A word of advice, NEVER order this pizza. Not only is it under seasoned, we tend to steer away from onions that aren't caramelized and the ham wasn't even browned. I tend to separate cold cuts from my pizza.

Bonus: they use Frank's. I am already sold at restaurants who bother themselves with using this one instead of the cheaper ones. And for you to actually claim to serve "Buffalo Wings" you gotta have at least this or Trappy's. I also love the fact that they have a complete selection of GOOD, CHEAP wines. Rex and I love 
Beaujolais, it pairs well with pasta. Overall, this place is worth the visit. I'd go back again for the "cheesecakes" and the steak. Oh, if you are in the generous mood try the wine with the pasta.




No comments:

Post a Comment