Sunday 10 February 2013

It's an Eng Bee Tin Holday.

For many, Chinese New Year means their annual mecca to Ongpin- ordering that fried siopao (really don't understand the hype for this) and ridiculously queuing for Eng Bee Tin tikoy. Sadly, we did the latter (Rex's dad wanted the brown and white tikoy). The Chinese restaurant lunch we advanced last week at Uno. Another reason for that love/hate feeling I have for this annual thing is Binondo's street becomes more crowded and traffic's worse. That's saying much considering its always troublesome to find a decent parking there, add ridiculous amount of people and dancers flooding the streets.

Anyway, I was just glad that I did manage to visit Eng Bee Tin that day because they have awesome new flavors of tikoy and hopia.

I was never a sucker for hopia. I always try to avoid "savory desserts". I can't seem to remove myself from picturing hopia and baboy together. Familiar flavors include ube and monggo (both I am not really fond of). I was a bit surprised when they had this flavor. Eating Custard Hopia is  like having sweetened gelatin but hey, enough hate.  I really think it's a nice addition to the usual  hopia flavors. This would probably be the only hopia flavor I can muster to eat anyway. For big custard fans, this still work. It's not too sweet and you can still taste the "egg" flavor from the hopia.  Keep this baby refrigerated though.

For those wanting to be different this year, you can try out their TEAkoy flavor:  (Jasmin, Green Tea, Red Tea, Milk Tea). I never get t try this one out, too expensive though. I can't pay for a P400 tea-koy. But hey, this one's a nice alternative to the brown/white gelatinous stuff you hand out every year. Plus, its definitely a starter for all milk tea lovers out there. 



No comments:

Post a Comment