Saturday 18 May 2013

Bulcachong: Dabawenyos Hangover Cure

I asked a few locals why most restos close early in Davao. Last night, we were looking for places to eat and noticed that most establishments close as early as 9-10 pm. So where do people eat after drinking? I notied that breakfast/brunch meals are not so common as cakes are to Dabawenyos. Most restaurants even cafes open at 11 am.

Few bloggers mention "TAPS" as one of the best places to get tapsilog. But a friend told me, kids these days prefer Bulca chong na. Partly menudo, partly balbacua, this beef concoction is your ticket to sobriety. It has all the requirements of your anti- hangover fix: warm, hearty, beefy goodness. Your comfort to the impending doom of migraine the next day. 



Situated at Ilustre Street, this is your go-to place when you find yourself for those cheap, after drinking session. Situated in an antique building, the place has two sections. You will have to pay P15 more on your food for aircon and the privilege to be dining here. Or you can go all the way cowboy and eat in the humble carinderia outside (beware of the greasy smell, probably from the beef)  



To start of, NEVER order this weird kinilaw. A cross between sashimi and your DIY kinilaw (kuya just placed the vinegar in front of me, optional po ba ang suka kuya?). Anyway, while they've chosen one of the more expensive fish (malasugi); I still can't wrap my head around my usual kinilaw (coconut milk, suka and loads of sili).


Presenting: Bulcachong. My friend explained that it was more of a mix between bulalo, balbacua and ...chong? Don't get me wrong, but I already love Bohol's version of the balbacua dish (soup there is a transparent concoction of spices and slow-cooked beef). This one will do. It has all the good parts, fatty and filling :)

For more of their menu, take your pick:

Oh, it might be one of the few places that I've been to that actually serve Emperador and Tanduay in bottles and long necks. Talk about subtlety. Curing hangover with more alcohol indeed! :)

Raffy finishing his meal, this is as low-key and cowboy as it gets

If you do have the decency, please do not bring food from outside here. 






2 comments:

  1. Are you a drinker? Then I have a suggestion for you. Take Detoxicated pills before drinking and reduce the symptoms of the hangover. I take these pills every time before drinking and it helps me to avoid the hangover like a boss. Best morning recovery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, hangover cure is good post for us. But if we take Hangover Cure Drink before party we get best result.

    ReplyDelete