Tuesday 14 May 2013

Cecil's: Davao Veteran

One has to admire a restaurant's longevity. With multiple branches all over the metro, singularly run. Consistent, with loyal followers throughout- I admire this restaurant's staying power. With new competitors coming in, its amazing how they've maintained their quality and prices. For P60 you can indulge yourself with a slice of their moist chocolate cake or at P88 you can satisfy your merienda cravings (Batchoy+brownie+glass of Coke). 

My favorites are their moist chocolate cake and egg pie. Egg pie reminds me so much of eating leche fan with a crust. The choco moist is true to its name; would've preferred if it had the cream in the middle.



Surprisingly, good egg pie.

Fried Lumpia (an upgraded version of the cafeteria lumpiang ubod I usually eat for merienda before).  Would've love to try their fresh lumpia.

Moist Chocolate Cake

I usually have my batchoy with the egg included (Batchoy special). I don't know if its just me but I prefer the food prepared in their original branch. I keep on imagining that the serving's a bit bigger. Anyway, both are equally good.

 
Downtown branch (Batchoy Special):

I have mixed feelings towards palabok. My only memory of it growing up was Jollibee's version of it. Chicharon bits and shrimp- I find it a bit nakakaumay for a time. Cecil's version of the dish is better. Minus the shrimp part, I loved how the sauce goes perfectly well with their noodles and chicharon (no pretentious gourmet treats here..just your neighborhood palabok done good consistently).

Downtown branch (Luglug):

The brazo de mercedez was a bit of a letdown. Plus you can't order yours in slices, either you have to get the whole thing or half of it. We divided the half into three for us to share. While it had crisp edges, I find it a bit bland. Don't get me wrong. I do hate those overpoweringly sweet desserts, but this one was like eating egg whites...just soft, fluffy egg whites. :)


Now, I have yet try their carrot cake. Heard so many great things about it. Leaving you off with a photo taken from last year's visit to Davao. Here's an almost complete photo of my officemates for food service :)



No comments:

Post a Comment