Tuesday 14 May 2013

Davao Tripping: Hodge-Podge of Food Memories


I will be spending a week here in Davao for work. In between free times, I am sampling as many dishes as  can here. Being in Davao never fails to astonish me, it has this urban yet laid-back feel. People are nicer, pace is slower even traffic is not that bad compared to Cebu. But the thing the reason why I love about Davao is the sheer abundance of restaurant per area. I've never been in a place where small, start-up businesses are encouraged and thriving. People are supporting local cafes and restos over franchises. I love how each area in the city reminds me of Maginhawa. Food is affordable. You can get a decent meal for P100. Plus, people here speak a mix of Tagalog/Bisaya so for non-Bisaya speakers its so easy to navigate your way around here. 

..Plus I'll never understand why there's this abundance of coffeeshops and neighborhood pastry everywhere (not that I mind). Lunch was Penong's chicken. (I failed to take a photo just because I was too hungry that time). The chicken is their specialty. Unlike Mang Inasal's version, Penong's was a cross between grilled and lechon manok. Not dry, tasty with the right amount of spice; one serving ain't enough for those who skipped their breakfast. Don't expect anything fancy though, the place does look like your neighborhood kainan. Penong has a lot of branches in Davao so its easy for you to find one here.


Your neighborhood artsy cafe: Yellow Hauz

I have a soft spot for neighborhood cafes. This one has cute art projects everywhere. Just don't get the mango shake because you are going to be bound for some disappointment. Their selection of white coffee is comparable to Starbucks. They also serve meals (pastas, pizza, cakes, etc). So while you sip your favorite coffee drink, you can buy arts and crafts materials inside as well. 




Sarum banggi:  Skin Burns
I might have to be the clumsiest person you'll ever share a meal of sizzling food or anywhere near to cooking paraphernalia  My attempt at cooking has lead to tremendous burnt marks, I usually end up hurting myself or other people in the process. So tonight, my left arm wasn't spared. Anyway, I got a bit confused with the place's interior. They ought to replace those table cloth and tiles immediately. 

Anyway, Chiara recommended this place as Raffy was craving for some steak. 


I got Steak Ala Pobre (..supposedly at medium well). But it did ended up well-done anyway. Nothing special really but for P250, you get a hefty serving of  meat. (see photo below). Think of it as an upgraded version of your Sizzling Plate, with loads of gravy to accompany it.


Raffy got something from the Surf and Turf menu (calamares and steak). Rice and loads of gravy, I am not that hard to please.

No comments:

Post a Comment