Wednesday 28 November 2012

Old-New: Rai Rai Ken's Surprises



I had this resolution late this year. After resigning from a relatively stable job, I promised myself to do the best as I can to take a new challenge everyday and discover things. New places, new tastes-read a book, develop my skills and indulge in things that I never normally do before. In short, just be a adventurous.
Like what Bourdain said in his last episode, MOVE. May it be travelling outside or re-discovering the neighborhood, just everyday new.
On a limited budget (yes dude, I don't earn the those digits anymore), might as well start with something like eating something I won't normally pick on the menu. I'm sure you've heard of me ranting on previous blog posts for people to try more new things and not the usual stuff they order.
So for the past 2 weeks, I'd tried "new" things.
To start off, I decided to give Rai Rai Ken in Blue Wave a chance. I know? Pretending wannabes who eat at "hole-in-the whole" restaurants and you tell me you just ate at a fastfood chain and God-forbid, some pseudo-Japanese restaurant. And gasp, I had to swallow my words of not supporting this ramen fad. I digress a bit, but honestly I never had anything against ramen. It's just that I don't get the point of paying for more than Php200 for a bowl of noodles. Man, i get the same kick from eating Jyampong for 40 bucks.
Let me clarify, before the ramen wave, Rai Rai Ken was already serving these things. Normally I would dismiss this restaurant, imagining it as another second-rate Teriyaki Boy. Not saying much because I've always been cheap, so I'd often get my Japanese fix at Bentoya at almost 1/2 the price. Plus, I fool myself into thinking that people actually cook those things in Bentoya instead of being prepared in a commissary. I know, I eventually had to eat my words.



The second question that probably bogged you, why on earth would you go to Blue Wave just to eat at Rai Rai Ken? Well, they don't have parking fee when you eat there for lunch (till 3 pm), plus this branch serves 50% ooff on their ramen. So a bowl of ramen for 290 is just 145. It can feed two people I tell you (unless, bwakaw ka lang talaga). Did I mention that they have a Php280 per bucket with free pulutan of salmon skin (I know Im such a sucker for these things)? Anyway, my favorites are the following (I've eaten at this branch twice a week already for the last month)
Tantanmen (145, 50% off- you can order this with their gyoza)- this spciy concoction is worth it. You'll find yourself sweating afterwards
Gyoza (3 pcs)- 75
Bucket (280- you can mix it up like Pilsen and Tanduay Ice)
Crunchy Roll (8 pcs for 195)- Lately, I found myself gravitating towards rolls. My recent discovery is this same crunchy combo roll in Omakase, which is cheaper than most rolls they have but equally good). This piece is really good for its price, better than the usual California maki you order :D Just lay-off the soysauce.
Plus their staff is really friendly and thoughtful. They even had this smiley thing going on with my sauce. :)) Although, I find it awkward that ate has to wear this really short shorts at night. Then again, it might be a plus for guys. harhar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment