Sunday 4 November 2012

One Saturday in Marikina

I never had fond memories of food in Marikina. For me, it was really friends that got me going back to this place. Back in my first year in college, I stayed with a family friend on weekends. I remember hearty meals in their homes- sinigang and liempo. On times that we would eat outside it would be Popeye's at Sta. Lucia Mall and Don Henrico's.

I love that the place has character.Like being home in the province, Marikina is so laid back and has that small community feel to it. Unlike the busy and often traffic-prone areas in BF or the younger (noisier parts) in Maginhawa, Marikina feels like I'm right back with my family in Surigao. I also think it is a very resilient city. With several storms that led to the city's flooding; it's very much alive and festive. Rex and I find the people very warm, friendly and helpful. We even love their MMDA and police officers there; always smiling and cordial.

So one Saturday, we did the usual rounds in the area. Lilac and Rainbow has become full of neighborhood eats. Nothing really struck me as a "must go to" place. But I love how small businesses are slowly gaining momentum. They're also old establishments like Kapitan Moy, Qizia, Mama Chit's, Isabelo. But what really surprised me are these new breed of restaurants often visited by people in the area. There's this Burrito Place often filled with teens and cars lining up in this Ramen place near Sumulong.

I can't say that it will be the next BF. I am just pleased that people in the area are partonizing local shops. There are also a few chains such as Moonleaf, Crazy Katsu opening their branches in Lilac.



Forget me Not Cafe (it has the same name as Chef Pixxie's newly opened cafe in Makati :)), this quaint restaurant/cafe is a neighborhood favorite. It has free wifi and provide very generous servings of their food. We ordered the "house speciality". Rex got the stuffed Chicken while I got the Salisbury Steak. Meals come with free rice.



The salisbury steak was your usual fare of burger topped with gravy combo. It has a huge serving so I'm fine even if the gravy tasted like your usual fastfood sauce. (I am not picky, with P135 puede na).


Rex, on the otherhand wasn't so happy with the chicken. With only four tiny pieces of pesto-stuffed chicken, it could only go so wrong with gravy added to it. Since its already stuffed, I was more confused if it was trying to highlight the chicken stuffing or the sauce. It would've been better if it was cream-based or has a similar flavor profile to the stuffing.

Well, at least the space had ample parking.



We went to this dessert place because we believe in chef-turned-entrepeneur in their first venture. Perfect Moments, located at the ground floor of Blue Wave, is your typical fastfood/bakeshop establishment. Sadly, I would've been happier if I ate in Red Ribbon or Goldilocks because the food was underwhelming. The shop's interior looks a bit dirty and cluttered. But the food's very affordable. With Php100, you can get by with 2 rice meals. I also have to commend their personalized cakes. My favorite was the Barbie cake on display. Every girl would want to have it for her birthday.

Too bad their coffee tasted like Nescafe and their cake too dry.


But I am still going back for more of Marikina's restaurants. There's still more food to try. And I wish these places the best (and its improvement) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment